Friday, July 11, 2008

Community: Powerful Girl Next Door by Miku


Name?

Desire Johnson


Age?

17


School?

Santa Monica High School


City you live in?

Santa Monica


What are your interests?

I love to read book and write poetry. Sometimes i enjoy painting and doing ceramics. I like to hag out wuth my friends and surround myself with good company. Music is a lrge part of my life because I can always find a song that discribes exactly how I'm feeling. I also like to spend my time volunteering at the Santa Monica Main Public Library.


What are your future goals?

I intensd to graduate high schoolc and head off to college. I would like to major in Child Psycology and possible minor in Dance or Medicine.I would like to have my career started by the time I want to settle dowm and haev a family.


What kinds of programs are you doing right now?

I am a current memeber of the Santa Monica Main Library Teen Counsil. I also attend DowBeat 720, Microphone Sessions, and Microphone Sessions at the Santa MOnica Boys&Girls Clud. I frequently visit Virginia Ave Park. I now am also the former intern for the Phildrens Planning Committee of Los Angeles via Spa5


How do you get involved in your community?

All of the programs listed above a volunteer factors.


Have you changed your life?

In the past two years I have changed my life quite a bit -- so that I would be able to ajust to life in Santa Monica.


What inspires you?

Other people's situations inspire me. I make sure to note how people deal with their issues and try to apply their methods when I run into the same problem. My family is an inspiration and I inspire myself because at the end if the day I know myself best.


As a young female what challenges do you think exist for you?

Just as all female will face in their lives -- image. Over these past years I have learned to cope with how people see me and realize their is really nothing I can do about that. So I just see myself as beautiful everyday and hope that others can do the same for themselves. Now that I am getting older I have to worry about competion I will face in the college and working world.


How do you deal with challenges?

MOstly I do meditation and self assertive mantras. Writing poetry helps alot. Also going to Open Mics helps me out.

By Miku Yoshida

No comments: